Latest Music

Why I Named The Song "Humble & Strong"

My latest song release was in 2018 and it's a very personal one. Just this one song, to get it recorded and released, took about a year to complete. With the way that I write my rhymes these days, it's a very slow and drawn out process. Instead of sitting down with a formal pen & pad like we would traditionally do, I'll rehearse music over and over in my head until I find a lead line. From there, it's all about vibing. Getting into the zone and putting together a well-written verse.

Well, this song "Humble & Strong" is my first ever original song release. Most of my music have been on cover songs. To know why I deleted all my music, I wrote an article about that. You can read it here. Anyways, the title of this song was inspired by a mentor of mine who use to live in Bungalow Heaven. He led a strong sales team in the flooring business. At the time, I wasn't quite fit to to work for him, but by being around, I would pick up on a few gems here and there. Gems that I could use later. I remember he would tell his team "just humble and strong, that's the motto."

It was on my Heart. When I wrote this song, "humble and strong" was a phrase that fit the theme of it. You know how you have songs out there that are titled differently than what you may hear in the chorus? Well, yea, like that. When I got the idea to use that phrase for the title of this song, I felt good about it. I felt it resembled my own character, humble and strong. I know a thing or two about humility, failure, and despair. But, my perseverance is a testament in and of itself that I've been strong.

This song is dedicated to Bernice Taylor, people who know me from my hometown of Pasadena, CA, and to anyone I ever fell out with. Bernice Taylor was a lady who raised me shortly after I was taken
away from my biological family. Bernice raised me from weeks old until the age of 8. And she taught me a lot of the values I hold onto today. Simple things like respect, saying please and thank you, not to stare at strangers. I miss her so much. She is who I'm really talking about in the CHORUS when I say "You don't know, how I've missed you // Since you been gone, it's been so hard". I just really feel like she would appreciate who I turned out to be.

Secondly, the lyrics in this song pertain to my story growing up in Pasadena, CA. If you ask me, the Pasadena community has failed me. But, I have not failed myself! You can listen to my podcast about it here. In this song, I'm talking about my experiences sitting in the park when I had nowhere else to go. I remember loving the work day back then. But when the end of the day came, the park was the only place for me to go. From homelessness to crosstown foot missions, growing up in Pasadena was a hard time. After leaving my foster parents house on Wilson Avenue, life in Pasadena did not get better. And my verse in this song is an open letter to Pasadena's local music scene. When I say lyrics like,"everybody in my city asked nothing from me, but I gave it all I had, cuz man, you lucky!" More like, you're "lucky" that you know I love you and that I'm for you. It's a figure of speech basically saying that I could've had bad intentions. But, instead, I gave it [the music scene] all I had.

Lastly, I am talking to anyone that I've ever fell out with. One thing about me is that I have a forgiving Heart. Most of my grief stems from a lack of Love from others. When I wake up in the morning, I'm never out to get anybody. I am ready to forgive even those who have done the worse to
me. I've always been that way. If someone is always mean to you, you can defeat it with kindness and forgiveness. If you fight fire with fire, the fire will never go out.

If there is one thing I want you to get from this song, it's to hear the passion in my voice. I want you to listen to the lyrics, emotion, and tone as I express myself thru music. Interesting enough, I didn't write this song or hook to this beat. I wrote it to another beat by Magestick Records. It fit on the current track just fine and I decided to go with it.

If you like this song, I ask that you comment and share with people you know. If you would like to support me and my music, please check me out on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, & Sellfy. Thank you for listening and reading. It's always a pleasure!

Keep it WilsonBlock100%


Purchase On: Bandcamp   ///   Sellfy

Comments

  1. Are you Seeking about Investment? Bally Chohan provides latest blog what going on market. where from you can take informative suggestion and Ideas...ballychohan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment